Global Citizenship at W Verbier
Starwood Hotels has a legacy of caring for the communities in which we operate, so Global Citizenship comes naturally to us. Our work focuses on the environment and our communities and leverages our people, our brands, our relationships and our global reach because we are uniquely equipped to help our associates and guests create a better world to experience.
Policies & Reporting
The Starwood Program „30:20 by 20“ which started in 2008 sets the goal to reduce our energy consumption by 30% and our water consumption by 20% until 2020. All Starwood hotels and resorts worldwide have committed to this program.
W Verbier has established an internal ‘Green Council’ which has focus on engaging and promoting green practices throughout the hotel.
Initiatives for sustainability
- Water-saving aerators
- Energy-saving LED lighting in the guest rooms and public areas & movement detectors in the hotel corridors
- Waste separation
- Reduction of water and electricity use in the hotel
- Environment focused purchase
- Preference of regional suppliers
- Recycling discarded guestroom soaps to be redistributed to families in need, in collaboration with SapoCycle (www.sapocycle.org)
- Using recycling wood to heat the hotel
Sustainable Meeting Program
- Paperless booking and meeting planning
- „Check out for Children“: When checking out one US-Dollar can be donated to our partner UNICEF. This donation is voluntary.
- „Make a Green Choice“ - choose to decline daily change of bed linen
- „Clutter Free Meetings“ - include streamlined stations that provide paper, pens, glasses, water and other thoughtful touches, keeping the main work area uncluttered and organized
- Adequate bins for waste separation
- „EAME Sustainable Fish and Seafood Guidance“: We only purchase fish and seafood from sustainable fisheries
- Food and Beverage purchases from local and regional producers and suppliers
- Possiblity of Determination of environmental impact of a meeting or event with „Meeting Impact Report“ (MIR)
Activities for common good
- „Check-out for Children“ in co-operation with UNICEF
- Christmas Tree in the public area to collect gifts for the Association ‘SOS Enfants de Chez Nous’
- Associate trainings in different areas, amongst others Environmental Initiatives e.g. MAGC, personal development e.g. Complaint Management, Leadership, Service Culture
- Security and health protection trainings for our associates
- Promotion of young associates as company that takes on trainees
- Projects of Social Community Team
- Yearly participation at Earth Hour
- Road to awareness: Since its launch in 2008, Starwood’s Road to Awareness associates fundraising campaign has raised over $1.5 million to support different UNICEF education projects in Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
- SARF (Starwood Associate Relief Fund): The Starwood Associate Relief Fund has provided nearly US$ 2 million in grant funding since inception to support associates in need around the globe when disaster strikes.